Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Artist Spotlight - Heidi Kelley

At Shimmerz we love our Education team and know that they are some of
the best artists in the industry. We thought that you might want to
get to know these talented ladies a bit better so each month we'll be
interviewing one member of our team. Third up is our Education Team Coordinator,
Heidi Kelley!



Please tell us about yourself and your style.

I'm a stay at home Mama, and I wouldn't have it any other way! I have three children... two girls and a boy. Ahna is 9, Sarenna is 7, and Jax is just over a year. I love to scrap their every day moments, and must confess that I often don't scrap the big holidays because I am so into the smaller details that happen within those days! I am eclectic, I love to use non-traditional items on a projects, and paint is a must have. My style can be all over the place I suppose, mainly because I love to try new things and am constantly experimenting. With that comes my evolving style, allowing me to create within the moment, and truly, freely, let those creative juices just have at it!

Where do you create? Do you have a studio space? A small nook in
the kitchen?


I have my own scrap space, an entire room that my family has blessed me with.  It has cubbies all over, several work spaces, and a large window that looks out into the woods. It hasn't always been this way though, years ago I started with a rolling cart that I brought out when the mojo struck, then I moved into the dining nook... and now, well... I adore being in here and not having to pack it up every night!
 
Tell us about your creation process. Where do you find
inspiration? Are you messy or tidy? Do you sit down and complete one
project at a time or do you work on multiple projects at once?

Everywhere! Recipes inspire me, the clouds, my children, song lyrics... even the fresh fruit at the farmers market! And because I find so many things inspiring, I keep a notebook in my purse at all times. I jot down my ideas as they hit me. I am a VERY messy scrapper while I am in the midst of a project, but as soon as I am finished with that particular piece - everything gets put away. For that reason, only project is on my table at a time. I cannot stand not finishing a piece before I start something else. :)

What is your favorite Shimmerz product? Why?


I love, love, LOVE the new Coloringzs because of their intense hues. Pearlz are also a big favorite of mine because their sheer, pearly color adds such dimension to my projects.

What is your favorite Shimmerz color?

Where to start?? Jeni B Blue Vibez, is a constant fave, and Pink Stiletto Coloringz, No Yoking Coloringz, and My Bleeding Heart Coloringz are my new faves. However, I am always grabbing Sunset Strip Vibez, Peas Be Mine Pearlz, Gray Flannel Pearlz, and Ballet Slipper Pearlz... yeesh, I could go on, and on!

How do you choose the color schemes for your projects? 

They choose me, lol. Wherever the picture takes me - I go with the colors. I create by emotion, and how I felt/feel when I look at that photo, or how I felt when I took that very photo. Those emotions tell me what colors to use within the project.

What is your favorite thing to do besides making art?

I love to read, find new cooking recipes, and watch movies. :)

Have you read any good books lately? Which ones?

Why, yes, I have! I love to read Karen Kingsbury books, and Shades of Blue was the last one that I read. Her books are not terribly intense, so I can truly relax and read and I always have a light heart after finishing her stories. On the other hand, I also really enjoy the works of Jodi Piccoult. I studied bioethics in college, so the moral tug within her books draws me in. I just finished Handle with Care, and it was a doozy. I cried. A lot.

What is your favorite movie?

August Rush, that movie gets me every time. 

What is your favorite way to de-stress? 
 
Paint. Then paint some more, and then take a long, hot, bubble bath.

Do you have any funny traditions in your family that you'd like
to share?

 
Hmmm... we have been known to karate chop our birthday cakes, instead of cutting the first slice, lol... and every year we attempt to sing Christmas Carols around the tree. Only we can never remember the lyrics, so it lasts about 2 minutes. :) 

What, in your mind, is the ultimate luxury?

Quiet. It comes so infrequently, and is often overlooked. There is something to be said for simply enjoying the moment of quiet when it comes to you.

What is the best piece of art advice you've ever received? The
worst?

The best - There are no rules! I think often people get caught up in "what you are SUPPOSED to do." That just stifles creativity. The worst - ration your glue dots, lol. Why is this the worst advice? Because I can't do it.

What are your art goals for the future?

Honestly, just to maintain the sheer pleasure of doing it! I don't want to lose sight of the passion that I have when I create. Sometimes designers run the risk of trying so hard to "be" the designer that others want them to be, that they lose sight of the reasons they create the way that they do, and the way that they enjoy to...

Could you please share your favorite Shimmerz project with us?
Why is it your favorite?



This altered art piece is my favorite... because I really had no plans for it... I just let go on it, and my personality really comes out in the piece.
 
If you could give other women one piece of advice what would it be?
In everything you do, don't lose yourself. We as mothers, daughters, wives, sisters, designers, always have pressures upon us. Don't forget about you, and yourself, amidst all those pressures. Take care of you, and you will be better able to take care of the rest.... :)



Please feel free to ask more questions in the comments section!

Pin It

2 comments:

Sandi Smith said...

Wow Heidi...reading about you was also a very accurate description of me. My favorite movie is August Rush...Whenever I see it on TV I just have to sit and watch. I also love Jodi Picoult...have shed many tears reading her books. I also love Nicholas Sparks.I too am a VERY messy scrapper and only complete one project at a time but once it's completed I have to tidy up. I love your work and watch all your videos...what an inspiration you are!

Stac said...

This just made me love you more!! {{hugs}}